Erin and Susan and I got up early, ate another English breakfast and hopped on the tube to the Chunnel. The Chunnel took us through rural England, under the water, and back up through rural France and into Paris in only 2 1/2 hours! We slept most of the trip. Once in Paris, we waited in line for a taxi and went straight to our hotel which is in the 10th arrondissement.
A touristy map of where we stayed...you get the idea:

Place de la Republique near our hotel, and the main metro station:

The door to our room opened up onto this strange interior landing:

cool boarded up shop near our hotel:

We ate lunch near our hotel, waited in line for metro passes, and took the train to the d'Orsay. The d'Orsay was closed. And so was my taxidermy shop nearby. Everything seemed to be closing early. We sat on a patio and had coffee, then walked around a bit.
The metro:
We went back to our room to plan the next day. I had a ticket to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Casino de Paris, so Susan and Erin walked with me over to the show...but when I got in, they were already on stage, and I had to stand all the way in the back. Then the song finished and Nick said "Thank you Paris!" and they all left! I missed the show!!! They came on for an encore, so I saw about 3 songs, then it was over! I walked out with the excited crowd totally bummed. I walked around the neighborhood aimlessly. I saw two concert goers peeing in the streets. I was really depressed, then I realized that it was a beautiful night, and I was walking by this amazing church, and that things were still beautiful. I took the metro back to our hotel, walked around a bit, stopped in to a market for a sandwich and bread and went back to the hotel to eat dinner alone. The girls had gone to dinner and came back shortly. It sucked, but I didn't want it to ruin the trip.
We figured out that night that our time was off...we never calculated the time change from London to Paris, so we missed everything that day!
A taste of what I missed, just to torture myself:








No comments:
Post a Comment