Our first visit was at the studio of Peepshow, a collective of artists who do all kinds of illustration based work including instillation and motion stuff. They were great and their motion work was really inspiring and confirmed to me that 2-D motion is the way to go...no more digital 3-D for me!!! Their work can be seen here: www.peepshow.org.uk
(their website is really great!)
After Peepshow, we ran over to the Geffrye Museum to meet with Lizzie Allen who is a textile illustrator and is designing her own trendy boutique wallpaper. I'm not a huge fan of her work, but it's interesting to see someone applying illustration in this way. You can see her work here: www.lizzieallen.co.uk
We then rushed off to visit the studio of Le Gun, who was by far my favorite of the day. They are another collective of illustrators who work on all kinds of projects and put out a yearly book which is curated by Le Gun members. Sir Peter Blake has contributed, and I'm planning on contributing something for the next round. They were super friendly and we seemed to have a lot in common, in fact I felt kind of torn away when we had to leave to make our next appointment. Their work is here: www.legun.co.uk
Inside the studio of Le Gun:
We then met crazy Brian Grimwood who is an illustrator and founded the The Central Illustration Agency who represents tons of illustrators. He was really entertaining and kind of manic showing us slides of his work, seemingly from birth. He was an acquired taste, but I found him hilarious. His work can be found here: www.briangrimwood.comWe then made it back to the Hoxton where we had dinner with Anthony Burrill who is a great and funny designer / illustrator. He really made us laugh at his weird motion work and wonderful designs. Here is his work: www.anthonyburrill.com
(that picture of the kids with the horse is Anthony and his sister!! But it's a trick...that's all there is!)
and:
www.coolhunting.com/archives/2007/07/anthony_burrill.php
Erin, Tasha, and I went right to bed, but evidently all the other kids went out on the town clubbing. This trip has made me realize that I no longer have the energy of a 22 year old!
I like how this tree and vine are totally taking over this wall:
By our hotel, here's some interesting graffiti and train cars that are being used as studios:








No comments:
Post a Comment