Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 4, part 1

This morning we head over to Sir Peter Blake's studio!!! This was certainly the highlight of the entire trip! Sir Peter Blake designed this album cover:
He was a hugely influential pop artist. Some say he invented pop art and that Andy Warhol stole his ideas... Anyhow, he was charming and wonderful, even after being up till 4 am with Paul McCartney and Kate Moss the night before! I completely fell in love with him, an my goal is to someday steal his life.

This is the courtyard to his studio:


After greeting us at the gate, he hung out by his giant elephant, welcoming us into his fantastic studio:


More elephants...and hats:


Explaining his fascination with Snow White:


Looking for more great things in boxes:


A huge Walter Potter diorama. He purchased tons of Potter stuff when the museum closed. Some of Peter's paintings below:


A waxworks Sonny Liston, and the library:


In the kitchen:


Contemplating his collection:


I love that he plays! A sculptural alphabet:

One room seen from up-stairs:


Models for bronze pieces:


In bronze:


He explains his theory on how these collage pieces are linked to writer Joe Orton and his lover Kenneth Halliwell (who later murdered Orton and then killed himself)



Showing off some recent prints, hand painted with diamond dust:

Blake as creator!!!


Black and white pieces, and letters:


This will be a piece about a guy who dreams about bunnies:


A beautifully unfinished painting:


The back studio:



He sat and told us some great stories. After I took this picture, I felt privileged to sit next to him on his bench:

Before we left, Peter looked through my portfolio/sketchbook and I offered him a piece for his collection.
He chose this one:

It now sits amongst his beautiful collection. Peter was so inspirational and wonderful! I am so glad that I was able to meet him!

No comments: